06 August 2010

Old World Wisconsin

Thursday Oliver and I took a little trip into Wisconsin to meet my parents and Breanna at Old World Wisconsin. We had a lot of fun exploring the old buildings and learning about the people who lived in them over 130 years ago. Mom and Dad took Jenny and I there many times when we were younger. It was fun to go back again.

They have a settlement there built by a family who had immigrated to Wisconsin from Denmark. The lady who was interpreting at the house was baking a Danish favorite - rye bread. That took me right back to Copenhagen - we had our fill of that when we were there! I will agree that it is a Danish favorite, but I must admit it's not necessarily a favorite of mine.

Dad and Breanna sat down for a game of checkers in the children's play area. They had all kinds of games and toys set up from that time period for kids to try out. Breanna especially liked rolling a wooden hoop with a stick. I even gave it a go myself and was surprised how far I got.

It was a beautiful day to be there. It was warm, but there was a wonderful breeze blowing to keep us cool. We'll take the nice breeze over the wind they had there a few months ago. A tornado went through the park and took out over 3,000 trees. The parking lot, which once had rows and rows of pine trees, was completely cleared. There were downed trees everywhere you looked. Luckily, and amazingly, only one building had any structural damage. Some building lost a few shingles, but most were untouched.

We had a fun time there and it made for a good day outing for us. The only rough part of the trip were the mosquitos. I have never seen so many in my life! In certain areas of the park they were horrendous. Poor little Ollie looks like he has the chicken pox. We counted 28 big red spots on his face, arms and legs. Luckily they don't seem to be itching him, or we'd have one very uncomfortable boy!

See more photos of our trip here.

No comments: