Given the time difference between the west coast of the US and here, there was no way we would have been able to stay up last night to wait for election results. We figured the news, whatever it would be, would greet us as we awoke this morning.
As it turned out though, both Amy and I found ourselves awake a little before 5 a.m. this morning, and after checking online for news we turned on CNN for more coverage. So by this chance (our hearts must have been feeling it or something) we were able to watch live as Obama and McCain spoke concerning the results. It's incredible that even across an ocean we could watch their speeches live. We were of course excited by the news that our choice of candidate had prevailed, but admittedly watching the rally and speech in Grant Park was a little bittersweet as we were reminded of the wonderful city and country we have for a short time left behind.
In our short time here we have seen how interested this part of the world is in the outcome of this election; the mix of newspapers being read by those on the bus yesterday were all carrying McCain & Obama headlines. But the enormity of the day and what it means for both America and the entire world really hit me at work today, as I was over the course of the day congratulated by many different people. It really started to sink in what an important event we had just witnessed, and I realized that what I felt was not only a certain sense of relief, but also a lot of pride. Even in a climate of economic turmoil and somewhat-uncertain status on the world stage, the people of America achieved something that had only been a dream not even fifty years ago. When conditions would seem to cry out for safety and moderation, America instead stepped into an entirely new era, an era where all things are possible.
I am proud on this day to be an American, and when I see firsthand that the rest of the world is proud of America, too, I know that there really is Hope.
No comments:
Post a Comment