06 September 2008

Malmö, Sweden: A Taste of the Old and the New



We took our first cross-border trip today: we took a train into Sweden. It was about an hour-and-a-half trip from our apartment to Malmö. We took a bus down into Copenhagen, then a train from Copenhagen to Malmö. We didn't have an agenda, we were just there to explore. We walked the pedestrian street and toured S:t Petri Kyrka (St. Peter's Church). At the church I lit a candle in honor of John Petterson, my great-great-grandfather who traveled to America from Sweden. We also walked through some beautiful parks, and toured their new, very modern, library (see bottom photo). After wandering for a while, we found ourselves in a very old part of town that had some very cute little houses, all nestled together (see top photo). We had dinner in Lilla Torg, which is a small town square that dates from the Middle Ages. It was a very relaxing day, and I already have plans to go back to Malmö this coming week to visit some shops that were closed today. I'm especially excited to go to Gray's American Store, a store that caters to all the Americans missing their Betty Crocker cake mixes, their Dr. Pepper, and their Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. We window-shopped there, and I'm excited to go back to see what I can find! Right next door to Gray's was a Scandinavian design store, and I plan to spend some time there, too. Overall, Malmö is a very nice city with a good mix of historic and modern design.

For more pictures, check out our Picasa site.

2 comments:

iamloos said...

Does lilla torg mean "small square?"

Patty said...

My husband's father's family is from Gotland, Sweden. It's the island off the southern east coast of Sweden. I'll have to show him the pictures you took. I hope you enjoyed your visit.

Patty